Thursday, April 28, 2011

White Scotsman

I had the privilege on Saturday the 23rd of April to be present at the filming of a music video for the fine local band Ishi. They're a rock outfit, complete with absurdities such as top hats, rhinestone eyebrows, and glitter. The affair took place at the more understated Scot half of the English/Scottish pub "Crown and Harp". I walked in wanting to try a White Russian for the first time, though the bartender told me they had run out of cream and one of the band members had made off with their last bottle of Kahlua.
Only slightly disparaged, I decided to sample a few reportedly more than fine brews that had previously eluded me on more than one occasion. I began my tasting with UFO White.

Photobucket

Aroma 3:
It was hard to place the smell of it at first since the aroma reminded me of something I hadn't had since my childhood. It took several minutes before I could realize that it smelled like a can of fruit cocktail with that overly sweet syrup. It was a pleasant surprise actually.

Taste 3:
The flavor was something completely unexpected, I was expecting to taste pear and cherry upon my first sip, but to my alarm it tasted somewhat like a glass of cold skim milk and coconut mixed with a minuscule amount of water. (I know that sounds bad but it is truly enjoyable in this situation. )

Appearance 2:
A medium yellow with eggshell foam and a moderate amount of lacing

Texture 4:
Upon first touching my tongue I feel the sensation of licking the outside of an orange, then it slowly changes to an angelically light foam.



Shortly after the camera crew believed they had trained us well enough to step out of their way when they bumped into our backs, I pondered on what to drink next. I asked the bartender what was the best draft they had and he replied, "Chimay White Label". I was interested to hear that, as I have on several occasion noticed Chimay in my preferred beer purchasing establishment and not tried it due to the packaging not interesting me as well as others on the shelf have.

Jester King Black Metal
Seriously, what beats that?



I made the decision to have a glass and I was not disappointed.
Chimay White Label

Aroma 2:
I first noticed a slightly woody bitter smell and then a bite of alcohol (I know beer has alcohol, it's just odd that it would smell strongly of it, like a hard liquor.)

Taste 3:
Crisp hoppy bliss. It tasted like several types of hops battling for supremacy, the war seemed to go on without a loser.

Appearance 4:
A beautiful amber caramel color with thin almost non-existent lace

Texture 3:
It glided over my tongue with no friction, as if I was drinking teflon. I like the feel of bubbles and grit, but it was different and interesting.



Overall it was a fun afternoon. (Filming started about one in the afternoon.) The music was great and I'm glad I could support a deserving local band all while enjoying a few great drinks. I'll update and link to the video whenever it comes out.



*BONUS REVIEW*

Screwdriver

Wait, that's a screwdriver!
Drunkenness :1/5
It would probably take four to five of these to get me loaded

No burn : 9/10
This drink exceeded my expectations for not making me regret drinking it.

Final : Not my type of drink, I don't drink to get drunk. I also drink things for the experience of their flavor, not to fool myself into thinking I'm having breakfast. Though, who am I to turn down a free drink?


Well, that's all I've got for today. As always you can follow me here or on Twitter. @KuromanKuro And if you like what you read then go ahead and Digg/follow me.



1 comment:

  1. You don't have a screwdriver to trick yourself into thinking you are having breakfast, you drink it until you think you can afford it.

    ReplyDelete