Friday, May 20, 2011

"Russian Republic" or "The 5 Bears of the Russian Imperial"

Hello everybody, today I review two great brews that belong to two categories of beer that I don't usually enjoy. India Pale Ale and Imperial Stout.




Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA
I'm not usually fond of India Pale Ales but I was told that Racer 5 has one of the best around.

Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA

Aroma: 3 It has a bright and fruity body with hints of spices and cloves.

Taste: 4 I taste a lot of different strong herbs and several bitter hops making for a very interesting flavor.

Appearance: 3 Medium height white head with a light honey body. It has very clingy lace that looks like its made of champagne bubbles that don't pop.

Texture: 2 It's smooth on the palate and it doesn't easily turn to foam in your mouth.

I enjoyed this IPA quite a bit and I'm definitely not one for IPA's. However, Bear Republic went through the effort of creating a deep layered flavor and good mouth-feel, rather than pouring a bunch of hops in a vat and making a sour beer. (Not saying everybody does that, but I get that feeling tasting some other brand IPA's.) (Note: I must say I also enjoyed Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA at a recent tasting, but did not taste enough to make a proper review.)


Samuel Adams Imperial Stout

Samuel Adams Imperial Stout

Aroma: 3 I smell Dark Chocolate and strong malts.

Taste: 5 It has a very bitter start as is typical with an imperial stout, but it then transitions into a very smooth chocolatey finish and a small alcohol bite. After the first sip you notice that throughout the taste from the bitter beginning to the tongue tingling end there is a distinct taste of coffee.

Appearance: 3 Black with a layer of cocoa dust on top.

Texture: 3 It feels like low gravity and foam blankets.


Sam's Imperial stout is part of a limited series of beers called the imperial series appropriately enough. The series was created to emulate beers created in the past for royalty. The imperial stout in particular was created in England and imported into Russia at Catherine the Great's request. I've had good experiences with Old Rasputin Imperial Stout in small doses. But until I went to that beer tasting recently, I had only had that one enjoyable Imperial Stout. (I'm on a streak of good Imperial's now with the Samuel Adams and the Great Divide Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout. (I, unfortunately did not sample enough (yet again) to make a proper review of that one. though I did love it.))

Well, that's all I've got for today. As always you can follow me here or on Twitter. @KuromanKuro And if you like what you read then go ahead and Digg/follow me.


No comments:

Post a Comment